Antique jewellery, works of art by Carl Fabergé, objets de vertu and antique silver
Geoffrey Munn, Katherine Purcell, Kieran McCarthy
B.A.D.A. (The British Antique Dealers Association)
Wartski is a family business, specializing in works of art by Carl Fabergé, antique jewellery, silver and objets de vertu. It was founded by Morris Wartski in Poland in 1865, and was moved to Bangor in 1895. In 1910, Wartski flourished in the seaside town of Llandudno and its colourful clientele included King Edward VII and the 5th Marquis of Angelsey, also known as the ‘Dancing Marquis’.
After the establishment of two branches in Llandudno by 1895, a third was opened in London in 1911. It was with Morris Wartski’s son in law, Emanuel Snowman, that the firm began its long association with the work of Carl Fabergé. Snowman was one of a pioneering few who made purchases from the Soviet Government department, known as the Antiquariat, between 1927 until 1933. These included a variety of precious objects including the gold chalice given by Catherine The Great to the Cathedral of St. Aleksandr Nevskii Lavra. Amongst these transactions were numerous masterpieces by Fabergé, including a dozen of the now famous Imperial Easter Eggs.
Since the early 1950’s, Wartski has built a reputation for scholarship within the trade. The late A Kenneth Snowman published several books on Carl Faberge, goldsmith’s work and jewellery and Geoffrey Munn, Katherine Purcell and Kieran McCarthy maintain this tradition.
Wartski has had a long association with the Royal family and hold the warrants of Her Majesty the Queen and the Prince of Wales.
Two Gold and Enamel Cigarette Cases by Carl Fabergé
decorated with opaque champlevé enamel, the thumbpieces set with rose cut diamonds. Chief Workmaster: Henrik Wigstrom, St Petersburg 1908-1917.
A Pair of Jewelled Platinised Silver and Gold Cufflinks by Carl Fabergé
the yellow gold terminals topped with matt platinised silver and mounted with cabochon chrysoprases and lines of rose diamonds, their shape mimicking that of a button hole
Workmaster: August Hollming,
St. Petersburg, 1908-1911
inventory number: 87617.
1.9 cm in length
Contained in their original silk and velvet lined fitted hollywood case, the lid silk stamped in Cyrillic beneath the Imperial Warrant 'Fabergé, St. Petersburg, Moscow, London'.
An Antique Platinum and Diamond Necklace
in the form of an openwork trellis set with and suspending
brilliant cut diamonds, connected with curb link chains,
in original silk and velvet lined fitted case.
Forty seven diamonds weighing in total approximately 38. 02 carats.
A Pearl and Diamond Bracelet by Boucheron
formed from an articulated lattice of alternating pearls and diamonds. Paris, circa 1880.
A Diamond set Feather by Van Cleef and Arpels
set with brilliant and baguette cut diamonds mounted in platinum. Paris, circa 1928.
A Carved Rock Crystal and Diamond set Sautoir by Georges Fouquet
a pear-shaped drop in frosted rock crystal, suspended from a diamond set cap hanging from a rock crystal ring, the necklace formed from alternating spherical and tubular beads. Paris, circa 1925
find an exhibitor: