Important Eighteenth Century English Furniture
Harry Apter, Guy Apter
B.A.D.A. (The British Antique Dealers Association)
For 5 generations Apter - Fredericks have been acquiring some of the finest pieces of 18th English Furniture. From Queen Anne to Regency, the period when English craftmanship was at its height. Our spacious showrooms in the Fulham Road are the best place to start your search. A large dining table with seating for twenty or a breakfront bookcase can all be viewed in comfort. each piece is displayed with the respect it deserves.
A Regency Period Cut Glass
& Ormolu Chandelier
This important chandelier has a baluster stem with a large diamond cut egg surmounted by a drop hung canopy and an unusual diamond and a further flute cut egg. The main receiver plate supporting eight fine notched candle arms, each with drop hung scalloped edged diamond cut drip pans and egg shaped diamond cut candle nozzles.
The receiver bowl ring is mounted with an ormolu band decorated with flower heads and anthemions of the finest quality. Below is a canopy with a scalloped edge hung with drops and terminating in a diamond cut finial.
English Circa 1810
Height 43” 109cm
Diameter 26” 66cm
An Ormolu & White Marble Clock
Attributed to Matthew Boulton
Amongst many of Matthew Boulton’s enterprises was the supply of high quality ornaments to the Royal family and nobility of England. Amongst these ornaments were clocks, the designs of which were based on classical motifs.
In this instance, we see Narcissus, together with his dog, leaning forward and looking into a pool of water to see the beauty of his own reflection. Behind him, is a white marble column supporting an ormolu urn housing a clock. Boulton produced a number of clocks to this design but more typically the figures are either Venus or Titus & Minerva.
In Sir Nicholas Goodison's book, mention is made of 4 versions of the Narcissus clock. Two were sold in the famous Christies sale of 1778, another appears in Boulton’s day book of 1781, but with a bronzed rock pool, and another in the 1782 Inventory which indicates it had an obelisk as opposed to a clock.
It is also quite likely that the clock movement was supplied to Boulton by John Whitehurst. As he was based in Derby and was one of the leading clockmakers of his day, his proximity to Boulton's works at Soho, Birmingham would have made for convenience.
English Circa 1780
Width 7 ½” 19.25cm
Depth 6 ¼” 15.5 cm
Height 12” 30.5cm
A Regency Period Lacquer
This table, with its japanned iron top and papier mâché apron, belongs to a strikingly decorated and intriguing group of tables and side-cabinets about which surprisingly little is known.
English Circa 1815
Diameter 42" 106.5cm
Height 28" 71cm
A George III Rococo Period
Carved Gilt-Wood Mirror
The inclusion of a carved swan at the bottom of this mirror and the double 'C' scroll balustrade at the top suggest the work of Thomas Johnson, possibly the most successful mid eighteenth century mirror designer and carver, whose designs included both these features.
No drawing has been found for this mirror but bearing in mind the quality of the work and the success of the design, Thomas Johnson's authorship should certainly not be discounted even if it cannot be proved. Interestingly, in searching our reference library for comparable mirrors, it became apparent that when we found either of the motifs mentioned it was on mirrors of a very high standard.
English Circa 1760
Width 27 ½” 70cm
Height 52 ¼” 133cm
A Satinwood Commode Attributed
to Mayhew & Ince
This fine commode bears all the hallmarks of the workshop of Mayhew & Ince, in form, construction and decoration. The semi-circular form is an combination of two types from their workshop: one model with a single front door and solid end panels, as here, usually has tapering front uprights in between; while the other model has parallel-sided uprights like this commode, but usually with a solid front façade and with doors in the ends.
The decorative composition with a painted figurative front medallion flanked by classical vases, surrounded by floral swags, ribbon bows, husks, laurel and other marquetry motifs, may be compared to the famous Derby House Commode designed by Robert Adam for the Countess of Derby, and manufactured in 1775 by Mayhew & Ince – who thereafter adopted and adapted the design, in countless variations, for other clients.
The extensive use of engraving, filled with black, white and red mastic, to enliven the stained marquetry, is also highly characteristic of Mayhew & Ince, and this decoration is exceptionally well preserved on the present commode. The decoration of the top was designed to be been reflected in a mirror, resting on the plain band at the back – so creating a fully circular composition.
The present commode is particularly closely related to two other versions attributed to the Mayhew & Ince, and indeed the top of one is almost identical to the top of this commode. On one of these the central medallion is painted on paper, as on this example. These paintings would have been portable, so may well have been subcontracted outside the workshop. This portrayal of Venus and Cupid is loosely in the style of Angelica Kauffman and Antonio Zucchi, many of whose works were engraved and so adapted by other decorative painters. However, no engraving has been identified as the direct source for the present medallion, which is therefore more likely to be an autonomous composition by an unknown artist.
English Circa 1775–80
A George II Period Carved